Sep. 7, 2018
9:09:47 pm

I made a new draft page and I'm really excited about it. It's different but it wasn't a complete conceptual overhaul (like the box score change was). It loads way faster and is, IMO, much more intuitive. It's also more colourful and prettier.

I spoke a lot about the new page on Facebook and Twitter (below).

If there are any questions or comments, I'd love to discuss them here!

From Facebook:

There's a new draft page at Sports.ws. While I was hoping to have this wrapped up prior to our official opening last month, I'm happy to push it live now with the majority of fantasy drafts still to come.

What's different?
-The new draft page loads much faster and is far kinder to our server. That means less waiting when all you're hoping to do is see who your nemesis drafted and, more importantly, a significantly reduced logjam during peak traffic times.
-The new page is more colourful and fun. If you're like me, you live on this page from the beginning of August until the end of October. Now it's less bland.
-Now you can see when each team last accessed your league. Better turn up that peer pressure to speed your drafts along.

At the end of the day, the new page is basically just the old draft page but formatted differently and modified behind the scenes.

Happy Drafting!

(However, if you do encounter any issues, please contact the support account. You may also revert back to the previous draft page - in the yellow NOTE: section - if time is of the essence)

From Twitter:
At long last, our new draft page is ready. Please enjoy responsibly. (Thread)
As far as users go, the functionality of the page is more or less the same, it's just been formatted differently (more colorfully and more concisely).
The biggest advantage is the improved load times. This will come in handy over the next two months as users around the world pile onto the website and hug our server to death.
"Like, I can not stress enough how much cleaner and better the back end of the draft page is now. It had gotten out of control the past few years." -AK
One new feature is that all users can see the last an individual team accessed the league. No more disappearing for three days without your friends harassing you to log in and make your pick.
The draft clock is huge and unmistakably front and center. The goal here was to make things intuitive and purposeful. (This page simultaneously has to serve the 1 user on the clock and the 29 other users in the league simply checking in to see what's new)
We also tucked the the Turn on Auto-Pick button down at the bottom. With great power comes great responsibility... so we don't want anybody hitting this when what they really want is to Save Queue.

Sep. 8, 2018
5:00:32 pm

I'm glad to see that some change have been made in this website. But i have a very important question about the new draft. With this new draft page are the website able to pass some trouble that we users experienced in the past (expecially last year)?
More in detail i refer to the auto-pick bug, that namely select a player but in the team roster appear another player and the player theoretically picked (his name is in the draft list) simply bugged all the draft if other player try to pick him. But also a minor auto-pick bug that cause a random pick to a player after few seconds or minutes of his time to pick and not at the end of that.

Hope those issue are now solved, in case they are not this website will have a lot to improve yet.

Sep. 8, 2018
7:17:23 pm

The new draft page seems to load slowly and is more painful from my experience (on mobile). Lots of black screen while taking a Long time to load up.

The old draft page is more condensed and easier to see more info on one screen. The new page just makes it harder to use.

Just like the newer team score pages, adding graphics and additional info is not needed. The simpler text based interfaces were easier to read and get more info without scrolling so much.

Post deleted by user.

Sep. 9, 2018
2:44:25 am

Spazio: I didn't touch any of the auto-pick code this time around so you may still encounter issues. That said, I want to resolve those t00. If you know how to recreate the bug, tell the support account and we'll see if we can fix it.

Hector: I'll touch on the second part of your comment first. Really, 99% of the time somebody loads this draft page, it's to adjust their queue, see the recent picks or just check how much time is on the clock. The new draft page is build around that, first and foremost. The simple text layout is nice if you're trying to see what happened 40 picks ago but that's just not a priority.

(That said, I would like to add a way of accessing/exporting the draft results in a simple table format.)

As for the slowness you're experiencing, the biggest difference in performance (and particularly responsiveness on mobile) is that you're seeing ads on the draft page again (which had been held off during the redesign). I'd recommend upgrading to the ad-free SportsWS+ package if you find that it's prohibitive with your mobile connection.

Honestly though, you can usually just give the ads a few seconds to load and settle and then the page is much more responsive. I can't stress enough how much more efficient the new page is compared to the last.

Sep. 9, 2018
8:25:45 am

Hi!

Thank you very much for all your work!

:-)

Sep. 10, 2018
11:42:14 am

The DRAFT page looks much better now. Way better. Thanks a lot ¡¡¡

Sep. 10, 2018
3:49:42 pm

I like it.

Only "bug" I could see so far is that if a draft is over and you want to see the full draft table, you can't. Clicking on "Show full draft table" doesn't lead to anywhere. I think it's quite nice to be able to lok back at the draft while deep in the season and see where some busts and breakout players had been picked.

Sep. 12, 2018
6:40:39 am
Hi, I think the vision of the whole draft should be the default visión
The rest is really good

Sep. 12, 2018
7:48:01 am

Yes agree: "Only "bug" I could see so far is that if a draft is over and you want to see the full draft table, you can't."

On my mobile (iPhone X) the site is very slow btw.

AK, in the past you would get notifications of trade offers when you logged in, this is gone. Are you working on this?

Sep. 12, 2018
4:59:36 pm

Mokele & Dutch: I believe that issue is resolved, you can view the draft board even if the draft is complete. Thanks for the heads up.

Damasc: Like I said, the majority of views on this page are just people checking the clock and/or setting their queue, so having a sleeker default layout was the goal. Some leagues have over 400 picks in their draft. That gets cumbersome very fast.

Dutch: The site should never be slow, period. Not at this point in the season at least. It's running exponentially faster. You may, however, experience a slight lag in the responsiveness of the JavaScript if you're on mobile without the ad-free package but that's all. In fact, it may seem worse than it is because the page itself is loading quicker then you're used to (in comparison to the ads). If you're going to be immediately commenting on a draft pick, I'd give the page a few extra seconds to load and you shouldn't experience any problems - otherwise something has gone wrong on your device. In the meantime, I'm looking at ways of improving the performance of the ad campaigns and believe I made some progress this morning.

Dutch: I wasn't aware that the trade notifications weren't working. Are you referring to the notification in your league portal on the site home page? Or the pop up when you click into an actual league?

Sep. 12, 2018
5:17:03 pm

I like it, but imo the button to to back to the old format must remain.
One issue i have with the new format is that if there are picks skipped or deleted this new format doesnt recognize it. (ex. We skipped the #4 and now we are at 60 but according to the new page we are still at #4 so we need to load the old one to make picks or view others picks past the #4)

As i said in the beginning I like the new page but the button to load the old format needs to stay.

Sep. 12, 2018
6:10:44 pm

Yeah. That's an underlying problem with how commissioners remove picks. I'd like to solve THAT rather than adjust the new draft page to handle it better. The old draft page had a sort of duct tape-type method for dealing that but now I'd like to fix the issue at the source.

Reply: