» General Discussion

New Schedule Generation Logic

Oct. 8, 2018
10:16:24 pm

Hey guys. Sorry for the delay in launching the new schedule. I wanted to make sure it was nice and hardy before releasing it into the wild.

Three years ago we built schedule generation tool that gave leagues the ability to customize their schedules. While some of that came to fruition (like having the ability to end your season early) it ended up slightly buggy with inorganic home/away patterns. It was an ambitious project but its execution was a bit disappointing.

What I've done now is rebuilt that schedule generator from the ground up. Now the tool builds balanced schedules regardless of the number of teams in your league or the number of games in your season. And on top of that, in all but like 1% of leagues, the home/away splits end up equal (unless it's an odd-numbered season, in which case half the league inevitably has one more home game than the other half).

What's more, the home games and road games are dispersed more naturally through the season and feel more authentic. The tool also ensures, in most scenarios, that matchups between two particular teams are split evenly (or close to it) with both teams getting the same number of games at home. No more having to play your rival five times and having to be the road team for four of those games.

The dynamic tool has fared well in a number of live and semi-live test environments but if you see something strange about your league schedule, let me know and I can rectify it, you may well have an unanticipated league configuration that the tool hasn't encountered yet.

Oct. 9, 2018
12:51:44 am

Exciting!

Oct. 9, 2018
12:54:22 am

I think the only issue I saw is the color coding in the Calendar view. They're all yellow instead of alternating blue/yellow.

Oct. 9, 2018
4:11:45 am

Are you referring to the home/away colour coding? Because that shouldn’t be acting up. What league are you referring to? I’ll take a look.

Oct. 10, 2018
1:54:23 am

Oct. 10, 2018
2:54:18 am

Oh yeah, that one needs some TLC still

Oct. 10, 2018
5:58:26 pm

When is the draft

Oct. 10, 2018
5:58:27 pm

When is the draft

Oct. 10, 2018
7:28:23 pm

@marmel - The draft for your league?

Oct. 11, 2018
1:21:45 pm

I have 15 games away in a row, followed by 15 games at home in a row, followed by 15 games away in a row (16-team league). Is this normal?

Oct. 11, 2018
1:26:38 pm

surprised to see many leagues that give point to homecourt team

Oct. 11, 2018
1:29:58 pm

Ripper, that’s not normal. It sounds like you’re still on an old version of the schedule. Can you message support with the name of the league and when you finished your draft?

Oct. 11, 2018
1:33:35 pm

I have now increased the length of the regular season by 1 game, and now I have 1 at home and 1 away alternated.

Oct. 11, 2018
1:35:56 pm

Great. Yeah, it’s worth noting that editing any of the playoff settings (thus changing the length of your season) triggers the new code.

Oct. 12, 2018
9:26:32 am

Great job! Thanks, we discussed in the past about this, you committed to fix it... et voilà

Reply: