» General Discussion

The Plan for Mobile Redirects

Oct. 29, 2018
7:42:10 pm

Hey guys. I wanted to address this head on as it seems to be impacting a wide range of users. We've all surely experienced browsing this site (and many others) on mobile when a pop-up takes over your browsers, usually saying something stupid like "Congratulations - You've won blah blah blah".

First of all, I hate this. I can't stress enough how much I hate this. As a user of the internet I hate it and as the admin of a website I hate it even more. Every time I hear that one of our users has encountered one of these, it makes me angrier.

I want to address this but doing so without removing advertisements from mobile altogether will take some time. Unfortunately, all it takes is a few malicious companies to ruin stuff like this for every one. Like I said, I hate it.

Users may avoid this headache immediately by signing up for a SportsWS+ account, which eliminates all ads and adds a bunch of extra commissioner features. Or, if you're okay with (good) ads and want to play for free, just wait as I tackle different ways of filtering out these bad ad campaigns. Here's the SportsWS+ link (https://basketball.sports.ws/vip.x)

I wish I could fix this overnight but we're dealing with a major problem that's impacting the entire industry (https://www.wired.com/story/pop-up-mobile-ads-surge-as-sites-scramble-to-stop-them/). Unfortunately we just don't have the resources to run 100% direct campaign advertisements or the extra cash lying around to filter our programmatic content through ad-blocking software like some of the bigger publications on the internet.

I'm sorry that I don't have good news yet but I'm working on it!

AK

Oct. 30, 2018
1:06:28 pm

I love the premium account! Features are awesome, especially for a commissioner, and I know they'll be more added in the future. Thanks AK!

Oct. 30, 2018
5:14:24 pm

Yeah, the premium features are cool. They're in flux right now but they include access to the Daily Dubs tool (https://basketball.sports.ws/league/daily-dubs.x) which is pretty nice. I'm doing a bit of work on that page but some of the data available is a big help for GMs.

There are other little things too like being able to manually edit any and all player positions (commissioners only, obviously) and being able to see whether other teams have contingency lists set for the draft. There will also be access to user activity data (which is under construction as well) that should help commissioners weed out inactive owners before they even join their leagues.

Currently SportsWS+ members get avatars but in the coming future I'd like to open that back up to everyone.

I'd like to keep the core features of the game accessible to all but SportsWS+ is a good place for extra features that make life a little bit easier. As I add more, they'll apply to all existing SportsWS+ members.

Oct. 31, 2018
4:31:13 am

So there was a substantial change to how ads are served today and the number of mobile redirects should be drastically reduced. If any persist, do let me know. Fingers crossed that we've put a dent in this infuriating trend. Thanks for your patience.

Nov. 2, 2018
12:26:40 am

How are we doing for redirects here? Anybody still seeing them? If so, is it at least better?

I've heard good things about the solution I just employed but I know that a few redirects are still sneaking in here and there.

AK

Nov. 2, 2018
2:54:27 am

I guess I'll look into getting the Plus Account but as it stands my cell phone is getting at least 10 pop-ups at one time every time I try to look at a page. Nothing comes up on my tablet or my PC but my phone goes absolutely Bonkers still

Nov. 2, 2018
10:59:05 am

That blows my mind. I heard something similar last night, too. So you’re not alone. Others, however, say that they haven’t seen any since.

Maybe it’s just certain states or countries that are still getting them the worst because I can’t even recreate them if I try. (And I do, through VPNs).

As for SportsWS*, I would. Even without redirects, everything loads so much cleaner and faster. I intentionally opt into ads with my own SportsWS+ account so that I can monitor the campaigns but I’m jealous of those who can avoid them.

Nov. 2, 2018
1:23:37 pm

Thanks for working on this AK. I'm still getting popups but they are substantially reduced. Thanks again.

Nov. 2, 2018
2:44:43 pm

I have another idea that will hopefully hack down a lot more of these.

Nov. 3, 2018
9:54:42 am

Still get them almost as frequently as before but at least it opens in a new window now so you don’t lose what you’re working on like before. Any plans for an app?

Nov. 3, 2018
12:09:04 pm

Yeah, the new tab thing is a game changer but hopefully we can kick this problem altogether before too long. I have a few other ideas in mind that could potentially help.

As for an app, I get more excited about the potential every day. I wouldn’t want to unveil anything half-baked or compromised, however, so it would need to be just as good if not better than the mobile site. (Unlike the ESPN app which is a limited version of what’s available on browser)

Anything I can do to keep up with our users, I want to. With the exception of these rogue advertising shenanigans and the few pages I haven’t yet redesigned, I’m pretty happy with where the mobile site is, so I definitely want to explore the app more than, say, 2-3 years ago.

Reply: