» General Discussion

Sports.ws Update: Oct. 27, 2019

Oct. 27, 2019
5:58:34 pm

Hey guys, just a few more notes.

1) A lot of the hiccups and strange things you've seen related to stats have been due to a few changes and transitions we've made behind the scenes. Last year we experimented with real-time stats but this is the first year that we completely changed some of the infrastructure to accommodate for it. Last year we updated stats every 15 minutes, this year we're updating every 5 and within the next week or so I'd like to upgrade that to once every 1 minute. It's a pretty robust change, however, so it's led to some unforeseen issues that I've been chasing around trying to fix all week. All things considered, I think we're in pretty good shape. I appreciate your patience here. Trust me, this opens the door to a ton of possibilities that will make people incredibly hAPPy.

2) There are two pages that remain raw (but functional), the player stats page and the NBA boxscore pages. A lot of work had to go into changing out the stats are utilized on these pages because of the new stat system. That work is complete but the design is still incomplete. I made the decision to roll out those pages now rather than wait, however, because I figured having the functional stat tools was more important. The stat page is pretty close to ready in a dev environment, so hopefully I can push those changes to the main site today or tomorrow.

3) Some stat/boxscore issues that have been resolved include...
-home-court advantage not counting
-players in leagues that track team wins getting points even if they didn't play
-missing stats for Kevin Porter Jr., Georges Niang, Andre Iguodala, Josh Jackson

Brain is fried for now. I'll add more if I think of it.

Oct. 27, 2019
10:14:58 pm
As far as I can see so far the stats page on Sports.ws sorts the stats/players quicker then any other site I am on

Oct. 27, 2019
10:20:55 pm
Since you said you are hoping to cater more and more to salary dynasty leagues. Love that you can sort by the dollar amount of a players contract. Could also make the stats page sort whether or not a player is in their contract year. And/or the amount of years left in their contract Thanks Neil

Oct. 28, 2019
7:27:39 am

The speed of the new stat page was absolutely critical. Everything works so quickly and it's all because we're handling the statistics entirely differently than how we used to. While anybody logged in will get the "fantasy first" experience, I'd also like to expand upon the stats that you currently see so that we can be a fun resource for NBA fans, even if they aren't in fantasy leagues here. I will be adding quite a few more stat categories and stat filters.

Speaking of... I've finally found an alternative layout for the stat filters that I like, so that change has been pushed. By default fantasy users will see the very basic filters but you can toggle a more extensive list of features if you really want to dive into more detail.

Still to come on the player page is additional functionality that will let users select the overall season, as well as various "last X" sample sizes. You could never do that previously from our main stat table but long-time users will get a kick out of that.

I REALLY like the idea of having contract length available as one of the sortable options. One of my side projects is to make sure we have a fully robust collection of contract information.

Reply: